Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Coconut cake

from Michelle Huxtable's cookbook The Gathering of Friends, Vol. 2
 One of my sisters just turned 18.  That's weird.  I sometimes feel like I am still 18, even though I am married and almost done with college.
Anyway, she asked me to make a cake and I got really excited when she said she wanted it to be coconut.  I love coconut.  And my older sister's amazing mother-in-law has the BEST coconut cake recipe ever.  EVER.  If you like coconut, you will love this.


I N G R E D I E N T S

--1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
--3 cups sugar
--6 large eggs
--3 1/2 cup flour
--2 tsp. baking powder
--1 cup heavy cream
--1 tsp. coconut extract
--2 tsp. vanilla extract
--for the buttercream vanilla frosting--
--1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
--1/3 cup heavy cream
--3 tsp. vanilla extract
--8 cups powdered sugar
--2 cups shredded coconut

D I R E C T I O N S
--Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  spray three 9-inch round cake pans with pam and set aside.
--In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until combined.
--Add in the eggs and beat well until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
--Meanwhile, in another bowl, sift flour and baking powder.
--Alternate adding in the heavy cream and the sifted flour/baking powder into the egg/butter mixture, starting and ending with the heavy cream.
--Mix in the coconut extract and vanilla.
--Evenly pour the cake mixture into the three cake pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

--Once the cake is completely cooled, frost each layer with the Buttercream Vanilla Frosting.
--While the cakes are cooling, begin with the frosting by combining the softened butter, cream, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment.

--Slowly add the powdered sugar to it, making sure you don't create a giant cloud of sugar all over you during the process.
--Whip until smooth, and now it's ready use!

--After frosting each layer, sprinkle the top of the cake as well as the sides with as much coconut as you prefer.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment