Saturday, April 5, 2014

Meyer Lemon Raspberry Cake

from kitchentrialanderror.blogspot.com

This cake tasted so fresh and felt like spring (as much as a cake could feel like a season).  However, you can't judge how the cake may turn out...like mine.  But I didn't care.  I served myself three slices before putting plastic wrap over it and putting it in the refrigerator to practice self-discipline.  I think the trick to this frosting is to add some more sugar to the frosting, or place it in the fridge and chill it for 30 minutes.  No matter what, the taste will be divine!
 Note:  This recipe uses 6" size cake pans.  If you only have 8" or 9" pans, I recommend doubling the recipe.  I did not have 6" cake pans, but I did not think they would be too hard to find.  I started my search at a grocery store near my house.  No luck.  So then I thought, Macy's should have some!  Nope.  I was getting frustrated, but I was on a mission.  Bed Bath and Beyond was next.  I was so over it.  Didn't have it.  I grabbed lunch (don't go searching for a cake pan all day on an empty stomach) and thought, oh no.  Michael's.  I need to check Michael's.  Sure enough, after getting lunch, Michael's had every.  size.  cake.  pan.  imaginable.  I looked at those two 6" cake pans like they were made of gold.  So instead of going to four different places, go directly to Michael's.  You're welcome.
I N G R E D I E N T S 
--9 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened (one stick + 1 tbsp.)
--1 cup granulated sugar
--3 eggs, separated
--2 cups flour
--1 tbsp. baking powder
--1 tsp. salt
--1/2 tsp. baking soda
--1 cup plain greek yogurt
--1 cup fresh raspberries (or frozen, but that will alter baking time a little)
--for the buttercream--
--4 oz. cream cheese, softened
--4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
--zest and juice of 1 meyer lemon
--pinch of salt
--2 cups powdered sugar

--Preheat the oven to 320 degrees.  Grease and flour two cake pans and set aside (use the wonderful Pam "baking" spray!)

--Make sure you don't forget to separate your eggs!
 --Begin with your softened 9 tbsp. of unsalted butter.
 --Cream your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
 --Beautiful.
 --Add in the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
 --Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda and mix together until mostly combined.
 --Add the yogurt and mix until combined.
 --Combined!
 --In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until medium peaks are created.  I think this is medium peaks.
 --Fold the egg whites into the batter until it's all incorporated.
 --Like so.
 --Fold in the raspberries.


 --Divide the batter evenly into two cake pans and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
 --While the cakes are in the oven, start on the buttercream.  Zest your lemon and set aside.
 --In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until whipped.
 --Yes, like that.
 --Add in the lemon juice, zest, and a pinch of salt and mix it together.
 --Add in the powdered sugar, and mix until your desired consistency is reached.  (I think I would have added more powdered sugar, but looks aside, it tasted so dang good like this.)
 --And the cakes are done!  Allow them to cool before 10 minutes before flipping them on cooling racks.
 --Allow them to cool completely before dividing layers and frosting it.
 --Okay THIS IS OPTIONAL!!  I went a little crazy and tried dividing each cake into three layers.  As you can see, some went crazy.  I think my lines would have gone a little straighter had I only divided each cake into two pieces.
 --Now it's time to assemble!
 --Start with your first layer on the cake stand.
 --Frost the layer, put another cake piece on top, and repeat the process.
 --Voila!!!......so I went for a rustic look.
 --But it tasted so good!
 --You can work with the frosting, and play with it a little to have it turn out as perfect as you want!  But believe me, this cake tastes so good!
 --(my third slice.)

2 comments:

  1. Mine is baking now! I had my kids help with baking this today! Thanks for the step by step pictures cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah thanks so much!! Hope all your kids like it it's so yummy!

    ReplyDelete