Thursday, April 3, 2014

Malasadas

from hawaiiforvisitors.com


There's a breakfast place in Maui my family and I always go to when visiting the island.  During the meal they serve these complimentary malasadas, in other words a deep fried ball of sweetened bread dough and rolled in sugar.  Was that too much info about them?  Would you rather me say they're totally healthy and good for you?  In a way they are good for you, because when I eat these I am in complete happiness and bliss.  (Side note:  This recipe made a LOT of dough.  Unless you are making them to impress your big family, I would try halving it, unless you don't mind eating a bunch of these.  To each his/her own!)


I N G R E D I E N T S
--yeast mixture--
--1 packet active dry yeast
--1 tsp. granulated sugar
--1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees)
--rest of ingredients--
--6 large eggs
--6 cups flour
--1/2 cup granulated sugar
--1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
--1 cup evaporated milk
--1 cup water
--1 tsp salt
--2 quarts vegetable oil (for frying)
--2 cups granulated sugar (for coating)


D I R E C T I O N S
--Dissolve the packet of yeast with the tsp. of sugar in a bowl filled with 1/4 cup water; allow the yeast to liven and bubble up, about ten minutes.
--ten minutes later...
--In a small bowl, drop in six eggs and watch how perfect of a circle the yolks make.
I really love food.
--Beat the eggs until thick.  (Wonderful that the camera had to zoom in on the great glass bowl.  Even more wonderful I didn't just take another picture.)
--In a separate large bowl, put the flour in and make a well in the center.
--Into the well add the yeast mixture,
--the eggs, 1/2 cup sugar,
--melted butter,
--1 cup evaporated milk,
--1 cup water,
--and salt.
--Beat thoroughly to form a soft, smooth dough.

--Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size, about an hour to two hours.

--***I made these malasadas again on Sunday and did something a little different with the dough that made a HUGE difference!  After the dough rises, spray a spatula with Pam and mix the dough around, beating it down.  Then, taking a small ice cream scooper, scoop little balls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet and all the pieces of dough to continue rising for about thirty minutes.  This will change the dough from a doughnut ball to a very fluffy and airy treat.
--Meanwhile, heat the oil to 325-350 degrees.  The recipe I used said 375, but I felt that was too hot and left the middle of the malasada a bit doughy.  I had to play around with the temperature a bit before they turned out yummy.  You may have to do the same.
--Drop the dough into the heated oil.
--Fry until the balls turn golden brown on both sides.  Drain on a plate lined with paper towel, and then drop them in a bag filled with the coating sugar.

--I had a big whole foods bag, so I think it's safe to say any big brown bag will work.
--Shake them up until they are covered in a nice coating of sugar.  Serve warm!



No comments:

Post a Comment